From Thoughts to Strength
Chapter 1 - Realizing One's True Potential
I was once sitting, wondering, why do I look good some days and some days... , not so much? I mean, sure, sometimes it’s as simple as whether I’ve taken a bath or not. But most of the time, I’ve realized it’s actually directly proportional to how much I take care of myself.
- Mental
- Physical
1. Mental :
The most difficult and challenging part to get the hang of. No matter how much you look like Hrithik Roshan on the outside, without good mental well-being, you’re gonna end up living like Deepak Kalal (well, he seems like a good man though). But yeah, in today’s world, no matter how happy we try to appear on the outside, we’re all struggling with something that messes with our mental health.
I’m not gonna pretend to have all the answers or give you some magical fix because I’m not a therapist or a psychologist. Heck, I’ve got a long way to go before I figure out my own mental well-being. So, you might wonder, why the heck am I even writing about mental health? Well, because there’s no point in self-improvement if you’re not addressing mental health.
What we can do, though, is self-introspect. I don’t know what you’re going through, and you don’t know what I’m dealing with. (But hey, if you find any concrete solutions, let me know :P) Ik I’m making my job easier by saying that, but it is what it is. Trust me, I’ve spent so much time learning about this topic, from simple Google searches to podcasts to reading research paper and I still haven’t figured it out. But don’t worry, I’ll add my 'masterpiece' below to make up for it. :p
Jokes aside, it’s time to get serious.... There’s one common thing we can do, indirectly, to improve our mental wellbeing and I’ll cover that in the physical category. Keep reading....
2. Physical
Now comes the most interesting part—the one we all want to improve: our appearance. We all want to look good and presentable, and the reasons could be many. Whether it’s to feel confident in our own skin or to impress someone(jk), we all want to feel good about how we look.
Here’s what I’ve been doing to improve myself:
a) Internal Health
I] Stop watching porn!
You might wonder what this has to do with internal health, but trust me, it affects us on a neurological level. It literally rewires our brain’s neurons in a way that messes with our dopamine and overall brain chemistry. This topic could probably fill an entire blog post on its own.
II] Eat healthy.
And of course, don’t forget to reward yourself by eating the things you love, but in moderation. YOLO, right?
III] Do a blood test and start taking essential supplements
In India, we don’t talk enough about the things that literally build us...essential vitamins and minerals. I’ve been taking multivitamins for years because my vegetarian diet doesn’t provide some of the nutrients I need.
IV] Remember what I mentioned in the mental health section?
Some things may indirectly influence mental well-being. For example, if you're deficient in certain vitamins...specifically vitamin D...you’re more likely to struggle with anxiety. So, start taking multivitamins if you think you're not getting enough. Apart from vitamin D[1], you can also consider omega-3 fatty acids[2] or ashwagandha[3]. These are all scientifically researched and have been shown to support mental health.
b) External Health
I] Just go to the gym, you lazy as$
But seriously, no excuses. Your future self will thank you.
II] Skin Care
Don’t overcomplicate things...I’ve tried a ton of products, and I’ve realized that less is more. Keep your skincare routine simple:
AM
- Good cleanser
- Good toner (Pick one based on your skin goal: Niacinamide for hyperpigmentation, Salicylic acid for acne-prone oily skin, or Vitamin C for overall skin improvement)
- Good moisturizer (Personally, I skip this step, but it’s really good to have)
- VERY good sunscreen to protect your skin from sun damage and free radicals.
PM
- Same trusty cleanser
- Toner (You can incorporate retinol for anti-aging)
- Moisturizer
III] Body Hygiene and Grooming
Basic hygiene goes a long way.
IV] Dress Well
V] Hair Care
If you’re eating a healthy diet without deficiencies, then you shouldn’t need to do much—just clean your hair regularly. But if you're dealing with androgenetic alopecia (male pattern baldness), stay away from those adivsai and baba oils you see on Instagram. There are only three things that actually work:
- Dutasteride
- Finasteride
- Minoxidil
Of course, I’m not a doctor, so consult one before jumping into these meds. I’ve been on these treatments for 7-8 years myself.
Tbh, these things might seem simple, but if you just stick with even half of them, you’re going to see improvements. And ofc, spend time with your loved ones, help others, spread love and try to be a better human. All these things... combined, will help us tap into our full potential.
So yeah, time to go. Got a task to do... Man, I really hate backend.
References you can explore for self-study on these topics:
1] https://www.vogue.com/article/simplified-skincare-routine
2] https://www.jeffersonhealth.org/your-health/living-well/8-supplements-that-can-help-reduce-anxiety-according-to-a-psych
3] https://in.sugarcosmetics.com/blog/best-tips-for-mens-hygiene
4] Tune into his medical science podcasts – they're really informative on many aspects - https://www.youtube.com/@hubermanlab
_processed.png)



Comments
Post a Comment